Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Firecracker 5K


So Saturday night Carter competed in his first 5K race. For those of you non-runners, a 5K is 3.1 miles.  We have been running with the local run club for 9 weeks training for this 5K.  Carter is very fast and loves to run. I really hope he keeps it up! On race day I could tell he was very nervous!  He was asking me questions like if he would be running on the road, if cars would pass him, if other runners would pass him, etc. I told him yes to all and if someone passes you don't give up just keep pushing. I knew he could do it, and just let me tell you, HE DID IT alright!!! I had already told him that Momma may not be able to run with him.  And that it was okay, I was trying to prepare him for when I was ahead of him.  Well that didn't go over so well, because he said he was going to beat me!!!! 

That afternoon I was really worried about the race. Here in South Central KY we have been effected by the heat wave along with everyone else. The race was to begin at 7:00 and when we got out of our car at the park the temperature was 101 degrees!!!!! YIKES!!!!!!


Before the race...Rebecca, me, Cheyenne, Jessica, Kruz and Carter


Yes we ran a 3.1 mile race in 100+ degree temps with very high humidity!!!!!! But let me tell you my boy kicked some tail!!!!! His very first race at 8 years old he ran a 28:02 minute race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He won 2nd place in the 14 & under age division!!!!! My time was 31 minutes, yeah he beat me by almost 4 minutes!!!! I found the race very difficult to run, it was just so hot and very hard to breathe.  I am just proud that I finished the race running!!! And so super proud of Carter!!!!!
Carter and I after the race, getting ready to watch fireworks


After the race with our medals!!!!! Me 1st in my age group, Cheyenne, 1st in her group, Rebecca, 2nd (I think), Jessica 2nd in her group, Carter 2nd in his group, Kruz and Zaylee particpated in the Kids Fun Run


Zaylee, me and Maddie about to watch some fireworks



Photobucket

2 comments:

Courtney said...

Congratulations, that's awesome! A special thing for you and your son to share. Stopping by from A Classy Southern Wife-- Happy Sunday:)

Courtney said...

Hi new blog friend! I'm following you too. Movie was Magic Mike (oh my gracious!) and horse farms outside Nashville! :)